Dairy-free Crème Brûlée
The simple and decadent pleasure of a good Crème Brûlée is often associated with Valentine's Day, but this dessert should be enjoyed more than just once a year. With only 5 ingredients, this is a recipe that combines simplicity with sublime taste.
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 300F, and boil a kettle of water.
- Separate 4 eggs, placing the yolks in a medium mixing bowl. The whites are not needed for this recipe.
- Whisk in 2 Tbsp of maple sugar or other fine sugar. Set aside.
- Measure 200g of coconut cream, and place in a medium sauce pan. Heat over medium heat, and stir in 1 tsp of vanilla extract. If you have vanilla pods, scrape the vanilla beans from 1/2 of a vanilla pod. Stir to combine.
- When the coconut cream comes to a soft boil, remove from heat, and incorporate into the eggs, little by little while whisking the eggs (this is called tempering, and if you don't do this properly, you'll end up with sweet, scrambled eggs).
- Pour the egg yolk cream mixture into two 4-oz ramekins. Place the filled ramekins into a baking dish, and then add boiling water around them, filling about half way up the ramekins.
- Carefully transfer to a hot oven, and bake for 35-40 minutes. When they are done, the centers should still jiggle slightly.
- Remove from heat, and allow the ramekins to cool 10 minutes before refrigerating at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- Sprinkle any fine granulated sugar over the tops of the ramekins. Ensure your coverage is even, then torch with a kitchen torch. If you don't have a torch, you can also use your oven broiler, or a powerful stick lighter. Torch the sugar gently so that it does not burn. If a portion does burn, swirl the ramekin to distribute the darker colored sugar.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week