Creamy Dairy Free Kale Bacon and Butternut Squash
This soup is extremely comforting, full of flavor and almost chowder-like. It's a great dish to make ahead and save for weekday meals, it even makes a great breakfast!
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Butternut Squash, medium sized
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 cloves 3 cloves 3 cloves Garlic, diced
- 5 pieces 5 pieces 5 pieces Bacon, diced
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 2 cups 2 cups 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 2 cups 2 cups 2 cups Chicken Broth, free range
- 1 bunch 1 bunch 1 bunch Kale, leaves removed from the stems and broken into small pieces
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Black Pepper
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Slice butternut squash long ways, scoop out the seeds and rub olive oil onto the squash, followed by a bit of salt and pepper.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment and place squash face down.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until soft. The squash doesn't have to be totally cooked because it will cook more once you add it to the broth. But it should be at least 80% done when you remove it from the oven.
- While the butternut squash is baking, chop your onion, garlic and bacon.
- In a heated, large skillet add bacon pieces and cook until slightly browned.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, followed by garlic. Be careful not to burn the garlic!
- Once onion, bacon and garlic are mostly cooked and softened, add coconut milk, chicken broth and broken kale leaves.
- Mix well and simmer on low until your squash is done.
- Remove butternut squash from the oven and flip so that it cools quickly.
- Once relatively cool, gently peel or slice the skin off the squash and cube the cooked squash.
- Add squash to soup and add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes to enhance the flavor and serve!
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week