Cranberry Hand Pies
These festive little pies are the perfect addition to your holiday dessert menu!
- 12 oz 12 oz 12 oz Spiced Cranberry Relish (click for recipe)
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Maple Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup 1 1/2 cup 1 1/2 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 1/2 cup 1 1/2 cup 1 1/2 cup Arrowroot Flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced] Palm Oil Shortening
- 2 2 2 Egg Whites, yolks reserved
- 1 1 1 Egg, whisked
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the maple sugar, almond flour, arrowroot flour, sea salt, and baking soda.
- Using your hands, add the palm shortening to the dough. Once the shortening is added to the flours, you will have a crumbly dough.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites, and add them to the dough, using your hands again to incorporate, until you have a nicely formed ball of dough.
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons of arrowroot flour to the outside of the dough if it's a touch too sticky.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cooking surface large enough to roll the dough, and dust with arrowroot flour.
- Add half of the dough to the parchment, and place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Roll the dough into a 1/8 inch thick sheet, and using the rim of a large wide mouth mason jar lid, or an english muffin ring, cut circles in the dough, and remove the extra dough around the outside.
- Gently move the circles to your parchment lined baking sheet, and place them about an inch or two apart.
- Repeat to create the tops of the pies.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the Cranberry Relish onto each circle of dough, and just using your finger, run a rim of the remaining egg yolk around the outer area of the crust, so that the top layer sticks well.
- Gently place the top layer of crust over the bottom layer with the cranberry relish, and press the edges together with your fingers. Using a paring knife, create 3 slits on the top of the pies, and using a fork, press the edges again to create texture on the outside rim.
- Lightly brush the top of the pies with the whisked egg, and place in the oven to bake for 17 minutes on the middle rack.
- After 17 minutes, remove the pies from the oven, and turn the oven temperature up to 375, and move the oven rack up one notch. Brush the pies once more with the egg wash, and sprinkle with maple sugar, and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Repeat with all steps with a second batch of pies if needed.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week