Chocolate Chip Cookie Twix Bars
- 12 oz 12 oz 12 oz Primal Palate Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Maple Sugar
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 8 oz 8 oz 8 oz Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced] Palm Oil Shortening, or fat of your choice
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Primal Palate Kosher Flake Salt
- Preheat your oven to bake at 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Press the cookie dough out in an even layer to the edges of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cookie dough is baking, prepare the caramel.
- In a sauce pan, combine the butter, maple sugar and water over medium heat. Use a candy thermometer, and bring the mixture up to "firm ball" while whisking frequently. Firm Ball stage is approximately 250F, and this is the lowest heat I would suggest for the caramel. This heat will yield a creamy and super soft caramel.
- Once the caramel reaches firm ball stage, keep it there for another 3-4 minutes, continuing to whisk. Add the salt and vanilla, and remove from heat. Whisk in the heavy cream and set aside to cool.
- Allow the cookie layer and caramel to cool (measured 115F or less, or able to be handled with bare hands, but can still be warm).
- Pour the caramel over the cookie layer, spread it to the edges, then place the entire dish in the freezer for at least one hour. Ideally for several hours to really get cold and firm.
- Melt the semisweet chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly. Add the palm shortening (or your choice of fat) and stir until incorporated. Once liquified and mixed, set aside to cool until you can handle it with bare hands (115F or less).
- Bring the frozen cookie layer out of the freezer. Cut in half, then cut into 1" strips. This will yield 16 candy bar-shaped pieces.
- Spoon the warm chocolate over the candy bars, and spread with the back of the spoon or a brush. Immediately sprinkle with Kosher Flake Salt or another finishing salt of your choosing. Our French Grey Salt is also another good choice.
- Re-freeze to store, best served cold!
If you want to do the chocolate layer all at once, keep the layer VERY thin so that it is easy to cut without shattering into shards. I know this because the first attempt on this recipe I did a thick chocolate layer all over, and wasn't able to cut it. 🙂
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week