Beef Short Ribs with Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
This Beef Short Rib with Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes is just so dreamy. I realize that may be a weird way to describe this dish but I am just kind of obsessed with how these images turned out. I also have a slight obsession with spicy sweet potatoes so these chipotle smashed sweet potatoes are one of my absolutely favorite sides right now.
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Beef Short Ribs, boneless or bone in
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin, for the short ribs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Chili Powder, for the short ribs
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Cumin, for the short ribs
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Cocoa Powder, Organic, for the short ribs
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Smoked Paprika, for the short ribs
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Oregano, dried, for the short ribs
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Black Pepper, for the short ribs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt, for the smashed sweet potatoes
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Granulated Garlic, for the smashed sweet potatoes
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Red Onion, chopped and for the short ribs
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Bone Broth, Beef, for the short ribs
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Sweet Potato, cut in to large pieces
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Butter, Salted, for the smashed sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Coconut Milk, or cream and for the smashed sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, chopped and for the smashed sweet potatoes
- 0.25 cloves 0.25 cloves 0.25 cloves Cilantro, freshly chopped and for the smashed sweet potatoes
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 350 and heat a large enamel or cast iron Dutch oven on the stove to medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Mix together the chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, paprika, oregano, black pepper and salt in a bowl. Sprinkle the rub on the short ribs and rub it on to the meat.
- Place the short ribs in the hot oil and sear for 2-3 minutes a side and then remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and saute' for about 2 minutes and then add the broth.
- Place the short ribs back in the dutch oven and put a lid on it and let it slow cook in the oven for 2.5-3 hours or until meat is tender and falling apart.
- Heat a large pot of water to medium-high heat and add the sweet potatoes and let boil for 25-30 minutes or until they are softened. Drain the potatoes in to a colander and let cool slightly. Remove the peel and then put the sweet potatoes in to a large bowl.
- Add the butter, coconut milk, cilantro, chipotles, garlic and salt and mash the mixture with a hand or stand mixer and mix until creamy.
- Add some smashed sweet potatoes to a small cast iron skillet or server (optional) and top with the short rib, jicama, cilantro, jalapeno and lime.
Optional Toppings: Julienned Jicama Jalapeno Cilantro Lime You can also use bone-in short ribs but you may need closer to 3 pounds since the bone adds weight.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeEgg Free Meat Nut Free Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.