Stuffed Acorn Squash
cook:1 hour and 15 minutes
ready in:1 hour and 25 minutes
I had never had an acorn squash until I started receiving them in abundance from my work share CSA program at a local organic farm. A friend recommended stuffing them with "whatever", so I decided that apples sounded good. You could make this a main dish by adding in some crumbled cooked sausage or bacon.
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Acorn Squash, halved, seeded, and a slice cut off the bottom of each half to keep them steady in the cooking pan
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil, divided
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole organic Apple, sweet-tart variety
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 clove 1 clove 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Saigon, Ground Cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Cumin
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Salt and Pepper, or to taste
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Heat oven to 400F. Brush cut sides of squash with 1 tbsp of the coconut oil and sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour in the oven until fork tender.
- While squash is baking, heat remaining tbsp of coconut oil in a medium skillet. Add apples and onion, and saute until tender. Add garlic and stir until fragrant. Add cinnamon, cumin, and salt, and remove from heat.
- Spoon apple filling into the baked squash and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.