Roasted Beet & Pepita Winter Salad
- 0.5 head 0.5 head 0.5 head shredded Green Cabbage
- 5 cup 5 cup 5 cup Baby Spinach
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Vidalia Onion, quick pickled; see note for instruction
- 6 whole 6 whole 6 whole Beets, cubed and roasted (instructions here: http://acleanbake.com/2015/01/simple-roasted-beets.html)
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Feta Cheese, in large crumbles
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Pumpkin Seeds, raw
- Simple Lemon Vinaigrette, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the spinach and green cabbage until evenly mixed. Transfer to a large salad bowl or platter.
- Sprinkle the pickled onions evenly over the greens.
- Layer the roasted beets over the top, and finish with pumpkin seeds.
- Toss before serving and dress with lemon vinaigrette (recipe in notes), or another favorite vinaigrette.
(1) To quick-pickle your onions, slice them very thinly and place in a small bowl. Add enough white or apple cider vinegar to just cover the slices, and let soak for 15 minutes to 8 hours. The vinegar takes the bite out of onion and the longer you soak the onions, the milder they become. Drain thoroughly before using. (2) If you don't have pumpkin seeds, you can sub another kind of nuts or seeds. Sunflower seeds or walnuts would work especially well. Feta can be replaced with ricotta salata or any other crumbled dairy or nut cheese. (3) Lemon vinaigrette recipe here: http://acleanbake.com/2015/01/simple-lemon-vinaigrette.html