Paleo Rabbit Cacciatore and Meatballs Over Mashed Sweet Potatoes
ready in:1 hour and 20 minutes
Show nutritional information
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 840
- Total Fat: 63g
- Total Carbohydrate: 5g
- Protein: 40g
Serve Paleo Rabbit Cacciatore with Meatballs over Mashed Sweet Potatoes for a delicious Paleo dinner.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Wild Rabbit, fresh, or frozen and thawed
- 2 - 3 whole 2 - 3 whole 2 - 3 whole Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for pork
- 1 head 1 head 1 head Garlic, cloves minced
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Onion, chopped
- 3 cup 3 cup 3 cup Tomato, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Water
- 0.33 cup 0.33 cup 0.33 cup White Wine
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Ground Pork
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp fresh Rosemary
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp fresh Thyme
- 3.5 oz 3.5 oz 3.5 oz Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Cut rabbit into pieces.
- Add sweet potatoes to a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Season rabbit pieces with sea salt and black pepper on all sides. Add the rabbit to the pot and brown on all sides. Transfer browned pieces to a clean plate.
- Add garlic and onions to the pot and reduce heat to medium. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water and wine and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to lift any brown bits that are stuck. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Check sweet potato for doneness. Remove from heat, drain and keep covered.
- Add rabbit pieces back to pot, stir to combine, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Roll ground pork into small meatballs using the palms of your hands. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add all meatballs to the skillet and season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cover and cook. Stir once after 5 minutes then cover and cook, reduce heat to medium-low if necessary.
- Transfer rabbit pieces to a new clean plate.
- Add fresh rosemary, fresh thyme and shiitake mushrooms to the pot, stir to combine. Simmer until slightly reduced, for 5 minutes.
- Add the rabbit and meatballs into the pot and simmer until heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes in the pan they were cooked in.
- Remove the rabbit pot from heat and prepare to serve. Add a scoop of sweet potatoes to a plate, top with a piece of rabbit, 3-5 meatballs and some sauce and serve with a side salad.
Sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to taste.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.