Fried Green Tomatoes
- Serves: 4–8
- Calories: 66
- Total Fat: 5g
- Total Carbohydrate: 1g
- Protein: 5g
Ever since watching the movie Fried Green Tomatoes with my mom years ago, I always wanted to try the actual recipe. Our version uses a light dredging of coconut flour, and is then fried in bacon grease. The chopped bacon on top is really what makes this dish a hit!
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
- Cook bacon over medium heat, allow to cool, then crumble.
- Reserve bacon grease for cooking tomatoes.
- Clean tomatoes, and slice into 1/8-inch-thick pieces.
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow dish.
- Dip tomato slices in egg wash, then dredge in coconut flour.
- Sauté tomato slices in bacon fat for 2–3 minutes per side over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crumbled bacon.
Cooking time will vary depending on your stove temperature and the tomato thickness. It is usually best to do a “test” piece with one slice of tomato to gauge adjustments.