"Flæskesteg" is a ridiculously delicious classic Danish crispy skin pork roast!
Think "pork rinds on meat"...
(More commonly known is "Ribbensteg", but when called that it uses a very specific cut (a skin-on roast cut from the spare ribs part of the pig)...."flæskesteg" covers any of the pork roasts.)
Serves: 6Serves: 6
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Pre-heat the oven to 285F.
- Cut the skin about 0.1-0.2 inch apart. (Cut through the skin, and through most of the fat cap - but try to avoid cutting into the meat.)
- Mix the salt, pepper and ginger, and rub it in evenly all over the roast. Make sure to get it carefully rubbed into each cut.
- Let it stand for some 10-15 minutes, then place it skin-side down in an oven safe tray.
- Add about half an inch (1cm) of water to the tray, just so it covers the skin.
- Place the tray in the oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots, parsnips and red onion, and cut them roughly into quite large pieces.
- Take out the roast and lift it out of the tray.
- Put the root vegetables and onions in the tray, then place the roast on top of them.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast, turn up the oven to 320F, and place it back in the oven.
- Cook until the core temperature is 185F, then turn on the broiler and crank up the heat to about 390F.
- Grill under the broiler for a few minutes until the skin looks crispy and has got a nice color.
- Take it out and let rest for a while before cutting it up in thin slices.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more
about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com
Popular on Primal Palate this week
Our New Cookbook!
Other recipes you might like
1 made this
Ready in 1 hour
1 made this
Ready in 20 minutes, plus 5 hours
2 made this
Ready in 3 hours and 30 minutes
Share a recipe
Upload your own recipes to Primal Palate, and help others find great food on our site,, meal planner and app!
Primal Palate Cooking Channel