Caramel “Crab” Apples
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 5 Tbsp 5 Tbsp 5 Tbsp Salted Butter
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups 1 1/2 cups 1 1/2 cups Maple Sugar
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Water
- 10 whole 10 whole 10 whole organic Apple, we used Lady Apples, which are generally available in October, and are quite small. You can use any variety of apple, though.
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- This recipe is from our cookbook: Gather
- In a small saucepan, combine the heavy cream, butter, and salt together over medium-high heat.
- Allow the cream to come to a boil. Then, reduce the heat, and set the pan aside.
- In a separate medium saucepan, add the maple sugar, maple syrup, and water.
- Stir the ingredients until they are dissolved as you heat them over medium-high heat.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, add the heavy cream mixture from the small saucepan.
- Turn up the heat slightly, stirring frequently. When the caramel reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit, remove it from the heat, and allow it to cool for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the stems from the apples using a sharp paring knife.
- Carefully push a candy stick down through the core of each apple, making sure the sticks are firmly in place but do not go through the apple.
- Dip the apples in the caramel so that they are evenly covered, and immediately sprinkle them with dark chocolate chips.
You will need sturdy Candy Sticks and a candy thermometer.