cook:2 hours to 2 hours and 30 minutes
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron braising dish over medium heat on the stove top.
- Add chopped bacon to the braising dish and cook until crispy.
- Remove bacon from the dish, and set aside in a bowl.
- Add chopped onion to the braising dish and saute in the bacon grease until slightly translucent.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of rendered bacon grease (or coconut oil if you do not have extra bacon grease on hand) overmedium-high heat.
- Sprinkle oxtails generously with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper on all sides.
- Place oxtail in the cast iron skillet, and cook until browned on all sides (time will vary).
- Once browned on all sides, place oxtail over top the sauteed onions in the braising dish.
- Pour any remaining juices from the cast iron skillet over the oxtails and onion.
- Pour the can of fire roasted tomatoes over the oxtail and onion.
- Top with the chopped bacon, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish with a lid, and place in the oven for 2 - 2.5 hours
- Remove from oven, and serve.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.