Braised Lamb Shanks
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 581
- Total Fat: 31g
- Total Carbohydrate: 9g
- Protein: 68g
Braising is a wise choice of preparation for lamb shanks, as this cut is typically tough. The “low and slow” cooking process results in tender, juicy meat that just falls off the bone.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Sear lamb shanks, one at a time, until evenly browned while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- After first shank is complete, add the remaining tbsp of coconut oil.
- Place lamb shanks in a crock pot (slow cooker).
- Sauté the onion and unpeeled garlic cloves in the skillet for 1–2 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cover the lamb shanks with the sautéed garlic and onion.
- Place the rosemary, thyme sprigs, and oregano in a securely tied piece of cheese cloth (“bouquet garni”).
- Place bouquet garni in the crock pot, cover all with 1 cup of beef broth.
- Slow cook for 3–4 hours on low heat.
- Serve with onions and garlic on top.