Braised Lamb Shanks
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 581
- Total Fat: 31g
- Total Carbohydrate: 9g
- Protein: 68g
Braising is a wise choice of preparation for lamb shanks, as this cut is typically tough. The “low and slow” cooking process results in tender, juicy meat that just falls off the bone.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Sear lamb shanks, one at a time, until evenly browned while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- After first shank is complete, add the remaining tbsp of coconut oil.
- Place lamb shanks in a crock pot (slow cooker).
- Sauté the onion and unpeeled garlic cloves in the skillet for 1–2 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cover the lamb shanks with the sautéed garlic and onion.
- Place the rosemary, thyme sprigs, and oregano in a securely tied piece of cheese cloth (“bouquet garni”).
- Place bouquet garni in the crock pot, cover all with 1 cup of beef broth.
- Slow cook for 3–4 hours on low heat.
- Serve with onions and garlic on top.