ready in:1 hour and 10 minutes
Ground beef and pork are cooked in a tomato sauce and baked with spaghetti squash for a hearty, healthy meal that will last all week.
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves 3 cloves 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Onion, white, chopped
- .75 - 1 lb .75 - 1 lb .75 - 1 lb Ground Beef
- .75 - 1 lb .75 - 1 lb .75 - 1 lb Ground Pork
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp fresh Basil, chopped
- .5 Tbsp .5 Tbsp .5 Tbsp dried Oregano
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, optional
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Thyme
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Salt, kosher (use less if using table salt)
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Bell Pepper, freshly ground
- 25 oz 25 oz 25 oz Tomato Sauce, (about 3 cups)
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Eggs
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 400F. Poke the squash with a knife several times and microwave it whole for 5-7 minutes. It should come out soft enough to cut easily but it won't be cooked all the way. Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and place cut-side down in a 13x9 baking dish. Add just a little water to the dish and place in oven for about 20 mins. If you don't use the microwave method your cook time will need to be about 40 mins. Remove the squash from the oven. Let cool a bit. Using a fork, scrape out the squash into a large bowl and set aside. Dump the water out of the baking dish. Dry it off and grease it using some olive oil. Set it aside.
- While the squash is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook on medium until onion is translucent. About 3 minutes.
- Add pork, beef, basil, oregano, red pepper, thyme, salt and pepper to the pan. Stir to combine and cook until most of the beef is cooked through. At this point you can drain some of the fat if you'd like. I didn't because I used 93/7 beef and it really wasn't too fatty.
- Add 2 cups of sauce. Cook another 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. All meat should be cooked through.
- Stir the beef mixture into the spaghetti squash. Be sure to really stir well. Use a fork to break up the squash and make sure it's evenly coated.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs. Pour into the squash mixture and stir quickly. You may want to let the squash cool a little before mixing in the eggs to be sure they don't scramble. I waited just a few minutes and it was fine.
- Pour the mixture into the oiled baking dish and spread evenly. Bake at 400 for about 35 minutes or until the squash is no longer wet looking on top. The top should look a little stiff, almost like baked cheese. Remove and let sit for a few minutes before cutting. Slice and serve with extra sauce if desired. Enjoy!
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.