AIP Starch-Free Coconut Cream Pie
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Coconut Flour, (for the crust)
- .25 tsp .25 tsp .25 tsp Salt, (for the crust)
- .25 tsp .25 tsp .25 tsp Baking Soda, (for the crust)
- .75 tsp .75 tsp .75 tsp ground Cinnamon, (for the crust)
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Organic Coconut Oil, melted (for the crust)
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract, (for the crust)
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Raw Honey, (for the filling)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Unflavored, Knox brand Gelatin, (for the filling)
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup shredded Coconut, toasted at 350 for 5-6 minutes (for the filling)
- 16 oz 16 oz 16 oz Coconut Milk, (for the filling)
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Organic Coconut Butter, (for the filling)
- 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract, (for the filling)
- .25 tsp .25 tsp .25 tsp Sea Salt, (for the filling)
- [For the crust] Preheat oven to 350.
- In small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: coconut flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In stand mixer, beat wet ingredients together on medium.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing until fully combined.
- Scrape dough into 9" pie plate. Place a piece of parchment paper (large enough to cover entire pie plate) over the crust. Using small hand-held rolling pin (or use a small drinking glass turned on its side), roll crust flat to cover the bottom and sides of the pie plate. The dough will thicken as the gelatin sets, so this may take some extra rolling compared to an egg-based crust.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. While crust is baking, toast coconut and prepare pie filling.
- [For the filling] Toast coconut on a baking sheet for 5-6 minutes, until golden brown (Do not skip this step. Without it, the pie will be colorless and semi-translucent. It also adds great toasty flavor!)
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, Whisk all ingredients together, except for the gelatin and toasted coconut.
- Scoop out 2 teaspoons of the milk mixture and place it into a small dish. Add the gelatin and let it absorb the milk to create a rubbery mixture.
- Cover the milk mixture and bring to a simmer. Whisk in rubbery gelatin mixture and whisk vigorously until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Turn off heat.
- Stir in the coconut, and pour the mixture into the prepared graham pie crust.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, until completely cool and hardened throughout.
To make the gelatin egg substitute: Whisk 1 tbsp cool water with 1 tbsp gelatin. Add 2 tbsp boiling water. Whisk vigorously until gelatin is completely dissolved and frothy. Use immediately.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week