Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
1 hour and 30 minutes
1 hour and 50 minutes
This is a popular dish that has been shared by many respectable cooks. Often, this recipe calls for the use of liquor and white wine. For our version, we keep things simple and allow the flavors of the chicken to be enhanced only by bathing in herbs (and a massive amount of garlic) for a few hours. Do not get so caught up in the tender and juicy chicken that you forget to enjoy the steamed cloves of garlic. They are a wonderful little treat in their own right.
- 1 bunch 1 bunch Lemon Thyme
- 1 bunch 1 bunch Fresh Rosemary
- 1 1 Chicken, Whole
- 1 1 Shallot, minced
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil, Organic
- 3 head 3 head Garlic, cloves separated, unpeeled
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to roast at 350°F.
- Cut chicken into eight pieces (2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 breasts).
- Heat a skillet to medium heat with 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- Sear chicken on all sides, set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Sauté garlic in coconut oil until the skin of the garlic begins to soften and brown slightly.
- Place half of the garlic on the bottom of a Dutch oven.
- Place the chicken on top of the garlic.
- Cover with the remainder of the garlic, pour in the juices from the bowl, and top with rosemary, thyme, shallot, salt, and pepper.
- Cover with a lid, and roast at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours.
Keeping the skin on the cloves of garlic allows them to steam while cooking. This results in the garlic infusing the chicken with flavor, while cooking for a long time without burning.