As far back as I can remember, my mother has asked for a carrot cake for her birthday. This past year, we surprised her with a grain-free version, which was a huge hit. After sharing this recipe on our website, we received feedback from many followers that this was not only a great grain-free substitute, but the best carrot cake they've ever had!
- 5 whole 5 whole Carrot, Raw, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup 1 cup Maple Syrup, Grade B
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Coconut Flour, sifted
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 10 10 Eggs, Pastured
- 10 10 Medjool Dates
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup 1 cup Coconut Oil, Organic, melted
- 2 cup 2 cup Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup 1 cup Walnuts, Organic, chopped for garnish
- In a food processor, using the grating blade, shred carrots.
- Place carrots in a large ziplock bag.
- Pour maple syrup over carrots and let marinate in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, add sifted coconut flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Make date mixture with 10 medjool dates and 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
- In a large mixing bowl or kitchen mixer, blend eggs, vanilla, melted coconut oil, and date mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and blend.
- Remove carrots from the fridge, and drain the excess maple syrup from the carrots using a colander.
- Stir grated carrots into cake batter.
- Grease two 9-inch cake pans with coconut oil.
- Pour batter into pans.
- (For easy removal, line pans with parchment paper)Bake for 35 minutes.
- Test center with a tooth pick—if the tooth pick comes out clean, then the cakes are done.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool.
- Frost cake with cream cheese frosting, garnish with walnuts, and serve.