Slow Roast Beef Brisket
This dish is a real winter warmer; slow roasted beef brisket served with leeks, root mash and gravy. Melt in the mouth and simply delicious!
- 2.2 lb 2.2 lb 2.2 lb Beef Brisket
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Leek, washed and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 0.5 head 0.5 head 0.5 head Garlic
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Bay Leaf
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Carrots, peeled and chopped into rough chunks
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Parsnip, peeled and chopped into rough chunks
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Rutabaga, peeled and chopped into rough chunks
- 200 ml 200 ml 200 ml Water
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Tapioca Starch, mixed with a little water
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Black Pepper
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Place the beef in a deep roasting tray or the pot of a slow cooker.
- Add a pinch of salt, lots of black pepper, garlic, and the bay leaves.
- Add the leeks and the water and cover tightly with tinfoil.
- Place in the slow cooker, on low, either overnight or for about 8 hours.
- If using the oven, turn to 140C and leave for roughly the same amount of time.
- When ready, the beef should fall apart to the touch.
- Remove the beef and the leeks and transfer the juices to a saucepan.
- Whisk in the tapioca starch mixture and bring to the boil; the gravy will thicken nicely.
- To make the mash, boil the vegetables for about 30 minutes or until very tender.
- Mash with plenty of black pepper and a touch of salt if needed.
- Serve the beef and the leeks over the mash and ladle hot gravy over the lot.
- A side dish of kale or broccoli goes very well.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.