Homemade Pad Thai
Homemade pad thai is easier than you think and so much better than take out!
- 7 oz 7 oz 7 oz Rice Noodles, (spaghetti-size, not angel-hair size)
- 5 Tbsp 5 Tbsp 5 Tbsp Sesame Oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Raw Honey, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Healthy Homemade Sweet Chili Sauce (click for recipe), I recommend Sambal Olek
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Garlic, minced (divided)
- 0.5 Tbsp 0.5 Tbsp 0.5 Tbsp Lime Juice
- .75 lb .75 lb .75 lb Tail-on Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Carrots, shredded
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Snap Peas, chopped
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Green Onion, washed and chopped, for serving
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup raw Cashews, for serving
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Bean Sprouts, for serving
- 1 bunch 1 bunch 1 bunch Cilantro, for serving
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Lime, cut into wedges, for serving
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Place the rice noodles in a large, heatproof mixing bowl. Cover with boiling water and soften until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and toss with 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil. Set aside.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the tamarind paste, fish sauce, honey, rice vinegar, 1 Tablespoon sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon chili paste, 1/2 teaspoon garlic and lime juice in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet or wok and add 1 Tablespoon sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic and sautee briefly. Then add the shrimp and remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili paste. Sautee until cooked through. Transfer from the pan to a bowl and toss with 1-2 Tablespoons of the prepared sauce.
- Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons sesame oil to the pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the eggs, and scramble until about half cooked (soft and runny).
- Add the carrots, snow peas and red pepper and toss to combine.
- Add the noodles and the remaining sauce. Toss to distribute everything, then cover and allow to steam for 3-5 minutes, until the veggies are tender and the noodles are softened.
- Add the shrimp and its sauce into the pan and toss with the noodles and vegetables.
- Serve immediately, topped with generous handfuls of scallions, cashews, bean sprouts, Thai basil and several lime wedges. Squeeze the lime wedges over the noodles before digging in.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week