Grilled Turkey Drumsticks
If you've never tried grilling turkey drumsticks, you're missing out! These big, juicy cuts are perfect for grilling. Keep the flame low, and these babies will come out perfectly tender with a nice crisp skin.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix together cumin, garlic powder, cayenne, sea salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub drumsticks with seasonings.
- Sear drumsticks on the grill for approximately 3 minutes per quarter turn.
- After searing all sides, move drumsticks to a part of the grill where they can cook by indirect heat.
- (See notes below).
- Cook drumsticks via indirect heat for an additional 50–60 minutes.
- The grill temperature during this time should read around 300°F.
- Turn drumsticks 1/4 turn every 10 minutes until they have reached an internal temperature of 180°F.
- Baste drumsticks with red palm oil toward the end of their cook time, about the last 20 minutes or so.
- Reapply as necessary.
This recipe uses an indirect cooking technique on the grill. If you have a gas grill, turn one burner off and leave the remaining burners lit at medium heat. Place the drumsticks over the burner that has been shut off. If you have a charcoal grill, move the drumsticks to the coolest spot on the grill or raise the rack. The objective is to slowly cook the turkey so that it does not burn or dry out.