Dairy-Free Toasted Walnut Pesto
Pesto is a fantastic summer sauce that can be used for just about anything. It can be used as a "pasta" sauce for zucchini noodles, a dressing for salad or even a great addition to paleo pizza! This pesto is dairy-free and uses the option of nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor, if that's something you miss. It's delicious either way! This pesto also uses walnuts instead of pine nuts. Walnuts are often cheaper and easier to find as pine nuts are oven harvested unsustainably.
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup fresh Basil
- 3 cloves 3 cloves 3 cloves Garlic
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Organic Walnuts, lightly toasted
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 0.333 cup 0.333 cup 0.333 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast, optional
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Toast walnuts in a pan over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, watching carefully and stirring to ensure they don't burn.
- Place all ingredients except olive oil in large food processor and process until well combined. It may be necessary to scrape the edges as you go to ensure proper blending.
- While you are processing, slowly pour the olive oil into the feed tube as you go.
- Blend until desired consistency is reached.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.