Salted Caramel Drenched Coffee-Double Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel
- Serves: 10
- Calories: 513
- Total Fat: 32g
- Total Carbohydrate: 57g
- Protein: 4g
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Coconut Flour, (for the cake)
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Blanched Almond Flour, (for the cake)
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Raw Cacao Powder, (for the cake)
- 5 whole 5 whole 5 whole Eggs, (for the cake)
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Raw Honey, (for the cake)
- 2.25 tsp 2.25 tsp 2.25 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract, 2 tsp for the cake, 1/4 tsp for the frosting
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup 3/4 cup freshly ground Coffee, any regular cold-brew, (for the cake)
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, or coconut oil (for the cake)
- 3/4 tsp 3/4 tsp 3/4 tsp Baking Soda, (for the cake)
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Sea Salt, 1 pinch for the cake, plus 1/2 tsp for the caramel
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips, Enjoy Life brand (for the frosting)
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Coconut Cream, or heavy cream (for the frosting)
- 4 oz 4 oz 4 oz Dark Chocolate, chopped finely (for the ganache)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil, (for the ganache)
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Coconut Milk, 3/4 cup for the ganache, plus 1 1/4 cup for the caramel
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Coconut Sugar, (for the caramel)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter), (for the caramel)
- [To make the cake] Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease (2) 8 inch cake pans with butter or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, honey, vanilla extract, and cold brew coffee and whisk to combine. In a medium sized bowl combine coconut flour, almond flour, cacao or cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir dry ingredients with a fork to break up any clumps. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly incorporated and no lumps remain. Then add the melted butter or coconut oil to the batter and stir to thoroughly incorporate.
- If you have parchment paper I recommend cutting a circle out of the parchment paper and placing it in the bottom of each cake pan at this point before adding the batter because that prevents the bottom of the cake from sticking. Evenly divvy up the batter between the two cake pans and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 6-7 minutes then run a knife around the edges and transfer the cakes to a wire rack to finish cooling while you assemble the rest of the cake.
- [To make the caramel] In a small heavy bottomed pot add coconut milk, coconut sugar, and sea salt, and whisk until combined. Turn the burner on to medium heat and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil whisk in ghee and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally, until it turns a dark amber color and smells nutty and begins to thicken, it should almost be the consistency of caramel sauce, it will thicken as it cools. Pour it into a heat safe container to cool slightly.
- [To make the frosting] Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler until fully melted or in the microwave at 20 second intervals.In a medium sized bowl with an electric mixer beat heavy cream or coconut cream on high setting until it is the consistency of whipped cream.
- Add melted chocolate and give it one more whip until it’s thoroughly incorporated.
- On one of the baked cakes spoon all the frosting and spread it around evenly to coat most of the top of it and sandwich the other baked cake on top of that being careful not to press down to much otherwise your frosting will ooze out the sides.
- [To make the ganache] In a medium sized bowl add chocolate and coconut oil. Heat coconut milk in a small saucepan until hot and steamy then pour it over the chocolate and coconut milk.
- Allow to sit for 1 minute and then carefully whisk together until fully incorporated and smooth.
- [Assemble the cake] Carefully place the cake on a wire rack and slowly pour all of the ganache on the top of the cake letting it run down the sides to coat the whole top and of the cake. Allow to cool and harden a bit for at least 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a cake stand or plate with a lip to avoid the caramel from flowing over. Repeat this step with the salted caramel allowing the caramel to pool at the bottom of the cake. Let the cake sit for 5 minutes or refrigerate and let the caramel harden even more (really personal preference on that choice).
*In place of ghee in the salted caramel you may use palm shortening, but it's much better with ghee.