Butternut Squash Apple Leek Gratin
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Leek, washed and thinly sliced
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Sea Salt
- .25 tsp .25 tsp .25 tsp Black Pepper
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Cabernet Sauvignon Red wine, I used sherry
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Sage, fresh; chopped; plus some leaves for garnish
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, and sliced ⅛-inch thick
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb organic Apple, peeled, cored, quartered and cut into ⅛-inch thick slices
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded; omit if desired; replace with .5 cup diced pancetta
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add leeks and sautee, stirring, they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and sage and cook until liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- In a 2-quart shallow baking dish, arrange squash in overlapping layers; season with salt and pepper. Spread leeks evenly over the squash.
- Arrange apples in an overlapping layer over the leeks. Brush apples with remaining tablespoon oil. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle Parmesan or pancetta over the top. Turn on broiler, and place baking dish back in the oven. Broil until Parmesan or pancetta is browned on top. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sage leaves.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.