The one thing Bill and I really miss with eating a grain-free diet is sushi. We are both big lovers of sushi, and actually we went out for sushi for our first date. For months I have been wanting to create a grain-free sushi roll.
I was having some trouble trying to come up with the ingredients for this sushi roll. I was hesitant to use actual raw fish, and I of course didn’t want to use the crab meat for a California roll, being that it is not real crab. It is a mixture of fish, sugar, and other random ingredients. The light bulb went off for this recipe when we made the salmon stuffed crab. I thought it would be a great idea to make REAL California rolls, using REAL lump blue crab meat. Of course our California rolls are grain-free, so we used cauliflower rice in replacement of real sushi rice.
- Wild caught lump blue crab meat
- One head of cauliflower
- Nori Seaweed
- One cucumber
- One avocado
- Natural wasabi powder (Sushi Chef brand)
- Coconut aminos
- Rinse cauliflower, and grate with a cheese grater. Discard stems.
- Saute cauliflower in 1/2 a tablespoon coconut or olive oil for 5-7 minutes on medium heat. Let cool
- Thinly slice cucumber and avocado.
- Place a sheet of seaweed onto a cutting board, and cover 2/3 with a thin layer of cauliflower.
- 1/2 inch from the top edge of the seaweed, place a row of cucumber, avocado, and crab meat.
- Carefully roll sushi until you have an inch of seaweed left. Wet the sea weed with water to seal the roll.
- Slice sushi roll into 1 inch slices.
- Mix equal parts natural wasabi powder with water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve sushi with wasabi and coconut aminos for dipping.
This sushi tasted fantastic. It was very easy to create, and definitely satisfied our sushi cravings. We will definitely be making this recipe again, as well as trying other variations.
I absolutely love coconut aminos. I've also tried coconut syrup (very different from maple syrup – I'd be curious to see you all's take on it or where you would use it). I even had a coconut read me a bedtime story last night. Is there ANYTHING a coconut can't do?
I've been wanting to try this (cauliflower "rice" in sushi) for quite a while – you beat me to it! Glad to see it worked out well for you. I have a few combinations I'm excited to try.
Yum, I made this for dinner tonight, it was excellent! Thanks so much for the great recipe!
Great – glad you enjoyed it! You're welcome, of course!
This looks wonderful, thanks I cannot wait to try it
What would be a good topping that would make it more spicy? Sort of like the spicy mayo you can get on sushi in some restaurants. I really miss sushi too and love my sushi to have some spice to it!