A few months back, Bill and I were trying out different types of ice cream flavors using coconut milk. One of the best of the bunch was a chocolate almond butter flavor. Unfortunately we only took pictures of the end result of the ice cream, and recently our ancient ice cream maker bit the dust. Since we wanted to recreate this delicious ice cream, we decided to invest in a new ice cream maker.
Purchasing the new ice cream maker was a fantastic idea. The second batch of ice cream was better than the first. What a difference a new machine makes. We will definitely be having fun making future batches of coconut ice cream and fruit sorbets.
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup trader joes raw creamy, unsalted almond butter
- In a sauce pan on medium heat, whisk coconut milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and cocoa powder until cocoa powder is fully dissolved.
- Chill ice cream mixture in the refrigerator.
- Once ice cream mixture is fully chilled, pour into ice cream maker and process as according to directions.
- When ice cream is almost finished, add almond butter to ice cream maker, and continue to process.
- Serve with sliced banana and chopped almonds if desired.
This dairy free ice cream has a rich dark chocolate flavor, with a hint of almond butter. It is just sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth, and is a fabulous ice cream alternative. We had a lot of fun making this treat, and we will be sure to share future recipes.