Since Bill has been so good with The 21 Day Sugar Detox, I decided to come up with this “treat” just for him. However, it is safe to say that I ate just as many of these as he did last night… oops.
These are great when you need a little bite of something after dinner, but beware, they are easy to gobble up! For this recipe we basically made our own almond butter using coconut oil, but to make things easier you can just use purchased almond butter. I will add though, that adding coconut oil to raw almonds makes the most amazing almond butter ever. When you refrigerate it it hardens slightly from the coconut oil, and becomes like a fluffy almond fudge. Delish.
Disclaimer: All of these proportions were estimated because this recipe was intended on being just for Bill, and not something that we would post.
Ingredients for the Almond Butter:
- 12 oz of raw almonds (not estimated, this is exact)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- Two pinches of salt
- Process almonds in a food processor until they form a fine a meal.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil at a time, while the almond butter is processing.
- Continue to process until the almond butter is creamy (this may take a while, and use more or less coconut oil as needed to get it fairly fluid).
- Add the vanilla extract and salt, and continue to process for about a minute.
- Pour almond butter into a jar and set aside.
- 3/4 cup of homemade almond butter
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Stir mixture until all ingredients are equally blended together.
- Form mixture into small balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
Thanks so much! My hubby needs a little chocolate fix every day and we just ran out of the chocolate macadamia nut bark last night that I made a few weeks ago, so I was needing something new. This is perfect – quick and easy and I look forward to making it tonight!
I will be making this tonight as well! I think we deserve something a bit out of the ordinary… We will use some sunflower seeds in our butter too because we have not been happy with the hardness of the seeds this time… so i figured it might be nice to have them in a butter… then you posted this! 😀
A little late to this post when it was new, but I made this almond butter and used it as a filling in Diane Sanfillipo’s almond butter cups from Practical Paleo. A match made in heaven. . . Would love the option of adding this recipe to myKitchen 🙂