The other day, Bill and I were shopping around a local health food store, McGinnis Sisters, after my cousin Paige’s fifth grade graduation (congrats ‘Paigie’, please stop growing up so fast!) We were heading home just in time for lunch, and thought it would be good to grab something tasty to cook up when we got back. We spotted some wonderful looking chicken legs, and couldn’t pass them up!
Since we are on a serious ‘Kerrygold kick’, I knew we absolutely had to find a way to use Kerrygold in this recipe. Thanks to Bill reminding me that we had copious amounts of fresh chives growing in the garden, the light bulb went off. I looked at him and exclaimed, “Chive butter chicken! Lets do this.” To make this dish even more succulent, we added minced garlic under the skin of the chicken. Delicious.
- 2 whole chicken legs, prick skin with a knife
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp unsalted kerrygold butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to bake at 375.
- Rinse chicken under cold water, pat dry with a paper towel, and place in a glass baking dish.
- Lightly prick the skin of the chicken with the tip of a sharp knife. Be careful not to puncture the meat of the chicken. This is to make sure that the fatty juices from the skin help to moisten the chicken while cooking.
- Carefully lift the skin off the thigh of the chicken and stuff with minced garlic.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine butter and chives. Blend with a fork until you have a lightly whipped chive butter.
- Rub chive butter liberally over the skin of the chicken legs (since the legs will be cold, it helps to melt the butter slightly so that it easily coats the chicken).
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, and roast at 375 for 35 minutes.
I am making this tonight! 🙂
I had this on the menu and my daughter decided to go to the late karate class so I decided to go ahead and prepare them and cook them in the crockpot. Worked great!! I simply threw them under the broiler on high for about 4 minutes after we got home and the skin crisped up just like the picture. Chicken in delightfully moist and flavorful. We will make this again.