Paleo Beef Shanks aka Ossobuco Della Rosy (My mom’s famous Ossobuco!)
ready in:23 minutes
Ossobuco is a delicious way to cook your meat on the bone. It also contains the marrow, full of important nutrients. Try it with just the lightest sprinkle of sea salt.
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Beef Shank
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Celery, sliced
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Raw Carrot, chopped
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Cabernet Sauvignon Red wine
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Beef Bone Broth
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Lard
- 2 pinch 2 pinch 2 pinch Sea Salt, coarse
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Ground Fresh Black Peppercorns
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Put the dried porcini mushrooms in a small bowl with about 2 cups of hot water ad let soften.
- In a large skillet melt the fat and saute the shanks on a high flame until browned on both sides.
- In the meantime, in a cast iron or heavy pot sweat the onions, carrots and celery with 2 tablespoons of fat, on a low flame.
- When the vegetables are softened add the shanks, raise the flame and add the red wine.
- Now add the porcini, with their soaking water. (You can filter it through a cheesecloth if you fear there might be sand in the mushrooms).
- Add the broth, salt and pepper.
- Now cook on a very low flame for at least two hours, or until the meat is very tender and breaks with a fork.
- Serve immediately with plenty of its own broth and veggies.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.