This recipe is a deliciously fresh dish, perfect for summer time grilling. Lightly marinated salmon, along with a simple summer salad of tomato, cucumber, and kalamata olives. For this recipe we marinated the salmon for a few hours in “Hayley’s Almost Famous Marinade”. This marinade, simply consisting of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, basil, and oregano, enhances the fish beautifully without overpowering the delicious flavor of salmon on its own. This marinade is always our “go-to” marinade for quick tasty grilling. It is wonderful on any white fish, salmon, shrimp, or chicken.
Alongside the salmon is a new salad that was simple, easy, and wonderfully fresh. Summer to us brings along crisp fruits and vegetables, fresh flavors, and mouth watering meat hot off the grill. This salad would pair beautifully with any fish or chicken. This is also a great option for a simple salad to serve to house guests for a big summer cookout.
Salmon and Marinade
- 1 lb wild caught salmon, cut into 4-6 oz portions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- The juice of one lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse salmon under cold water, pat dry with a paper towel, and cut into 4-6 oz portions.
- In a glass jar, combine the ingredients for the marinade, and shake vigorously.
- Place salmon in a gallon ziplock bag, pour marinade over salmon, seal and toss to ensure the salmon is fully coated in the marinade.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours prior to grilling.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill salmon 4 minutes a side over medium-high heat.
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
As always, enjoy!
One word: NOM!
Just to be clear — if I don't have a grill, would cooking it in a pan be the best choice? Or would a broiler/oven work better? Thanks!
Either options would be delicious! We just prefer grilled salmon, but this recipe would be great broiled or in the frying pan.
this is beautiful. the photos are great, but the recipe is so light and fresh. this is how i prefer to eat. thank you guys so much for the inspiration. my most favorite paleo recipe blog!
Thank you Amanda! We really appreciate the positive feedback. Enjoy!
Made this tonight for dinner and it is incredibly good. Amazingly simple, too! Thank you for all the deliciousness!