Now that spring is here (for the most part…) and the grills are out, we took it upon ourselves to create a fun summer dish with lots of flavor. We have been wanting to create a recipe with Mahi Mahi for a while, and with mangoes being in season, we thought it was the perfect time to make a delicious grilled Mahi Mahi with a spicy mango chutney.
Classic mango chutney has sugar added to the recipe, but we relied solely on the ripe mango for the sweet flavor of the dish. This mango chutney packs a powerful flavor punch, so we kept the seasoning for the fish more mild. We accompanied the dish with a simple cauliflower rice to bring it all together.
- 2 ripe mangoes, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 of a large red onion, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- The juice of 1.5 limes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large frying pan, heat coconut oil on medium.
- Add garlic and ginger to the frying pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add red onion and red bell pepper to the frying pan and continue to saute for another minute.
- Add the chopped mango, lime juice, curry powder, and red pepper flakes. Continue to saute until the red bell pepper, onion, and mango have softened. About 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to simmer, and cover with a lid until serving.
Grilled Mahi Mahi
- 4 Mahi Mahi filets (ours were about 5-6 oz in size each)
- The juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Combine marinade ingredients in a food processor until well blended.
- Marinate the fish in a ziploc bag for up to 1 hour before grilling.
- Heat grill to medium heat (about 400 degrees). If you have a fish plate for your grill, allow it to preheat as well.
- Place fish on the grill, skin side down first. Cook for 4-5 minutes before flipping.
- Cook opposite side for 4-5 minutes, until fish is opaque in the center.
To bring this dish together, plate the Mahi Mahi over a bed of cauliflower rice and top with the mango chutney.