We have had a few people come to us asking for more breakfast options. Yes, our classic veggie scramble is delicious, hard boiled eggs are quick and easy, you can’t go wrong with egg muffins, and who doesn’t like classic bacon and eggs? With any way of eating, it is easy to get bored if you are eating the same thing over and over. One of our goals with this blog is to keep healthy eating fresh and exciting by offering many meal options to keep you all inspired to continue to make healthy choices with your eating.
The great thing about primal eating is that more often than not Bill and I don’t even realize we are hungry until lunch time, so getting bored with the same breakfast doesn’t happen often for us. However, we are constantly on the hunt for exciting breakfast ideas. After Bill made his delicious taco recipe the other night, I immediately had a breakfast idea that I thought would be fantastic. My thought was to make a crepe style egg tortilla, and fill it with our tasty taco ground turkey, top it with guacamole, wrap it all up in the egg tortilla, and drizzle some hot sauce on it. Mmmm delicious.
This was our first attempt at making a tortilla out of an egg. It was surprisingly very easy, and held up just fine for the meal. For this dish we used free range liquid egg whites from Trader Joe’s, but feel free to use whole omega 3 eggs. Both options would be fantastic.
- Homestyle taco meat (Just the seasoned ground turkey. Grass fed beef is great too, if you prefer red meat.)
- Guacamole (Brock’s Guac’)
- 1/3 cup free range liquid egg white, or 2 whole omega 3 eggs whisked
- Hot sauce – (Franks Red Hot is fine, or you can grab any organic hot sauce that your taste buds desire. Just be sure to check the ingredients, sometimes sugar sneaks in there.)
- Brown ground turkey or beef in a skillet, and season with our homemade taco seasoning.
- Grease a frying pan with cooking spray, or coconut oil.
- Pour egg into frying pan on medium low heat, and allow egg to cook all the way through.
- Carefully remove egg from frying pan and place on a plate.
- Scoop ground taco meat onto egg tortilla, and top with Brock’s Guac’.
- Drizzle with hot sauce if desired.
- Wrap up the burrito and enjoy!
This meal was a mouth watering success, and could easily be a lunch or dinner option. This is also a great way to make use of yummy left overs from some other recipes we’ve posted. Enjoying our Homestyle Tacos and Guacamole one night and have some left over? Great, then you are all set for grain-free Breakfast Burritos the next day!
As always, Enjoy!
This is GENIUS. I can't wait to try it. I think you could also get away with throwing some roasted veggies in there too…peppers/onions/yam maybe? Add a squeeze of lime on top, why doesn't everyone eat this way?!
Awesome idea with the veggies – definitely worth playing with, and the lime would really set off the flavors in the guacamole. The egg crepes held up so well – and we're really looking forward to more meals with them! OH, and its awesome to see that you're a paleo sous chef – not too many of those around. Your blog looks great!
Hayley and Bill
Oh nice! I was looking at this thinking "so what's the tortilla made of?!" – fantastic trickery here!
Diane @ Balanced Bites
Hey Diane – I know, its a great little trick! I'm sure it could be used other ways as well. Thanks for stopping by our site – we're big fans of your website too!
-Hayley and Bill
Just tried this tonight! Pretty darn good! Of course, my "tortilla" wouldn't quite stay wrapped but still delish!
I added a little almond flour to my eggs before cooking them to give the tortilla more of a bread feel. They held together pretty nicely. Also, I used leftover chicken salad from lunch the day before and sauteed onions and bell peppers. It was like a wrap. Yummy! Thanks for the great idea!