So remember yesterday when I said Bill was doing better? Apparently I spoke too soon. We were out running a few errands and Bill turned into Oscar the Grouch, hard core. Everything that came out of his mouth was negative. However, Bill being the evolved man that he is, was able to stop himself and say “Wow, I guess sugar had a stronger hold on me than I thought.” He knew he was angry, and although I stayed relatively calm and quiet, he knew it was stressing me out.
I on the other hand have felt great. My appetite has significantly decreased, and my headaches are gone completely. The only downside is that my energy has been low for workouts. I think that is due to keeping my carbs so low for this detox (it’s not to late to join, by the way!) I’m trying to drink as much water as I can, but come night time I can’t seem to quench my thirst.
Yesterday we made some really yummy food (as we always do, I must say), one of which was a side dish that was just for Bill. Like I said, I’m keeping carbs pretty low, so I avoided this dish. We sauteed parsnips in a lot of butter and added some warm spices to bring out the sweetness of this vegetable (even so, it’s not a sweet dish by any stretch of the imagination). It turned out great, and Bill really enjoyed it! (I ate the entire batch, folks. – Bill)
- 6-8 parsnips, peeled and chopped.
- 2 tbsp of butter plus 1 tablespoon for later step.
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground garlic
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel parsnips with a vegetable peeler, and chop into bite size pieces.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium heat in a cast iron skillet.
- Place chopped parsnips into the skillet, and stir frequently to ensure all are cooking evenly.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic, and cinnamon, and continue to stir until all are coated evenly.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter if needed to mobilize the spices.
- Saute on medium heat until parsnips are slightly browned on the outside and soft through the middle, about 20 minutes depending on thickness of parsnips.
Great idea, totally making this tonight!! We're doing the Detox over here, as well–not super grumpy, but some headaches… much needed detox, though!
I was just wondering what I should do with the parsnips in my frig when Mark's Daily Apple posted the link to this. Thanks.
Oh yeah, DEFINITELY have done something similar to this before and it's FANTASTIC.
I love parsnips, but really have not thought of enough ways to make them. Cinnamon is one of my most favorite spices, so these sound AMAZING! So happy to find you on Pinterest! Hugs, Terra