Since the holiday weekend is upon us, we figured this was the perfect time to serve up another deliciously sweet indulgence. What better for a spring holiday dessert than carrot cake? This recipe is a grain free take on a classic, and much loved recipe.
In celebration of spring, we present, Carrot Cake.
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 10 omega 3 eggs
- 5 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup pure maple syrup (reserve 1 tablespoon for date mixture)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 medjool dates
- Chopped raw walnuts for garnish
- In a food processor, using the grating blade, shred carrots.
- Place carrots in a large ziplock bag. Pour maple syrup over carrots and let marinate in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a small mixing bowl, add sifted coconut flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, or Kitchen Aid mixer, blend eggs, vanilla, melted coconut oil, and *date mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and blend.
- Stir in grated carrots, discarding excess maple syrup that they soaked in.
- Grease two 9 inch cake pans with coconut oil. (You can also line the bottom of the cake pans with parchment paper for easier removal)
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Test center with a tooth pick-if the tooth pick comes out clean, then the cakes are done.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool.
- Frost cake, garnish with walnuts, and serve!
- Remove pits from dates and place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add one tablespoon water to the dates and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Mash with a fork, add 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, and mash with a fork again.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz full fat cream cheese
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger root
- Bring cream cheese up to room temperature.
- Blend all ingredients with a hand mixer or Kitchen Aid Mixer.
- Use right away, or refrigerate.
Happy spring and as always, enjoy!