Turkish Meze Platter
- 2 pieces 2 pieces 2 pieces Beetroot, medium, washed, raw* (for Beet, Garlic & Yogurt Dip)
- 2 cloves 2 cloves 2 cloves Garlic, chopped finely (For Yogurt Carrot Dip)
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Plain Yogurt, Turkish or Greek style* (For Yogurt Carrot Dip)
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Parsley, flat leafed, roughly chopped (For Mixed Olive Salad)
- 0.5 lb 0.5 lb 0.5 lb Olives, good quality, mixed* (For Mixed Olives)
- 0.5 pieces 0.5 pieces 0.5 pieces Onion, medium, thinly sliced (For Mixed Olive Salad)
- 2 pieces 2 pieces 2 pieces Cucumber, small, halved lengthways, de-seeded (For Mixed Olive Salad)
- 2 pieces 2 pieces 2 pieces Tomato, medium, de-seeded, cubed (For Mixed Olive Salad)
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Molasses, (For Mixed Olive Salad)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (For Yogurt Carrot Dip)
- 0.333 cup 0.333 cup 0.333 cup Organic Walnuts, roasted, crushed (For Mixed Olive Salad)
- 6 pieces 6 pieces 6 pieces Bell Pepper, medium, whole (For Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers)
- 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar, good quality* (For Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp fresh Oregano, finely chopped* (For Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers)
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Salt, (For Yogurt Carrot Dip)
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley, flat leafed, finely chopped (For Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers)
- 6 pieces 6 pieces 6 pieces Carrots, medium, grated (For Yogurt Carrot Dip)
- Beet, Garlic & Yogurt Dip
- - Trim and peel the raw beets and then grate them.
- - Place in a bowl. Add the garlic and yogurt and mix all ingredients together.
- - Add some parsley as a garnish before serving.
- Mixed Olive Salad
- - Using a small knife, pit the olives and place the olive cheeks in a bowl.
- - Add the salad onion, cucumbers, tomatoes and parsley. Toss.
- - Just prior to serving, dry roast the walnuts until golden in a small pan. Then crush and add to the salad.
- - Prepare the dressing by whisking together the pomegranate molasses and olive oil. Drizzle over the salad and toss again.
- Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers
- - For a smoky taste, light an open grill BBQ. Over a medium heat, cook the whole bell peppers until charred and soft, about 20 minutes. You can also instead use your oven broiler (grill).
- - Allow the peppers to cool and then deseed the peppers and cut into broad slices.
- - Place on a large, flat dish. Sprinkle the garlic, vinegar, oregano leaves and sea salt over the peppers and reserve until needed.
- - Just prior to serving, finely chop the parsley and sprinkle over the peppers. This dish may be served cold or at room temperature.
- Yogurt Carrot Dip
- - Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Place the grated carrot in the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool.
- - Combine the yogurt and garlic. Season with the sea salt. Add the cooled carrot and garnish with some olives.
- Mixed Olives - Place the olives in a serving bowl.
Recipe Notes Despite being hard, the beets grate easily. Warning: Do not wear white clothing while grating the beets! Turkish-style yogurt is thick. If you can't find it use Greek yogurt instead. For your olives, find a good quality delicatessen and buy fresh, whole olives. Pitted olives can be dry. Or buy high quality bottled olives. Please don’t use canned olives. It is worth sourcing the pomegranate molasses. The combination of the sweetness of the molasses and the saltiness of the olives is a highlight. You can substitute with honey if you cannot find. Fresh thyme leaves can be used instead of oregano leaves. Dried oregano or thyme may also be used but reduce the quantity by half. Any type of vinegar may be used, provided it is of good quality. The sweetness of the peppers will mellow out the vinegar and leave your guests wanting more.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week