- 27 oz 27 oz 27 oz Coconut Milk, full fat
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Maple Sugar, granulated, NOT maple syrup
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Tapioca Starch
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup 2/3 cup 2/3 cup Dark Chocolate Chips, 1/3 cup for the ice cream drizzle, 1/3 cup for the chocolate shell (optional)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Coconut Oil, Organic, 1 tsp for drizzle, 1 tsp for chocolate shell
- Combine the coconut milk, maple sugar, tapioca starch, and vanilla extract in a medium-sized saucepan. Whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Once the tapioca starch is completely incorporated into the milk, place the pan over medium heat and heat the milk mixture, whisking constantly, until steam rises. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens, 7–10 minutes.
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat, pour into a mixing bowl, and allow to cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming on the surface, and place it in the refrigerator to cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled completely, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring. Allow the chocolate to cool while the ice cream is churning.
- Churn the chilled liquid in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This should take about 20 minutes.
- At the 19-minute mark of processing, slowly drizzle the melted chocolate in a very thin stream over the ice cream to create small chips of chocolate throughout the ice cream. Once all of the chocolate is added, allow the ice cream to churn for about 30–60 seconds to make sure that the chocolate is mixed in evenly.
- Enjoy immediately for a soft-serve like texture or place in the freezer for 2–4 hours to harden before serving.
To make the chocolate shell, repeat the instructions for making the chocolate drizzle in step 4 above. Drizzle this melted chocolate over the ice cream just before serving. It will form a shell in about a minute.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week