Spiced Cranberry Relish
- 12 oz 12 oz 12 oz fresh Cranberries, 1 12 oz bag, preferably organic
- 1 1 1 Orange, zest and juice
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Water, filtered
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp ground Allspice
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Maple Sugar
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Flour, optional
- Rinse the cranberries under cold water, and place in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Add the zest and juice of one orange, along with 1 cup of filtered water, and turn the burner on to medium heat.
- Stir the cranberries until they start to pop, and bubble. Turn the heat down to medium-low, and allow the cranberries to continue to cook until you have a mixture of softened, almost gelled cranberries, and some that are still whole.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, maple sugar, and allspice, and allow to cook for another 5 minutes or so, and then turn the heat down to low.
- If you want a thicker sauce, you can either allow the sauce to continue to reduce, or you can add the tablespoon of arrowroot powder. Typically you wan to whisk starch into a hot liquid, so that it dissolves properly, but that's not possible for this relish, so you just need to stir vigorously and the starch will dissolve just fine.
- Once the starch is added, remove the relish from the heat and allow to cool before filling the hand pies.
- If you are using this recipe for your Thanksgiving dinner, you can make it a day a head of time, and refrigerate until serving.
This cranberry relish recipe makes more than needed for the Cranberry Hand Pies, so you can serve the remainder of the relish at your Thanksgiving dinner, or can it, to make the hand pies another time in the future.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week