This dish is like the Persian version of a nice Italian meaty red sauce. The amazing aromas that fill your home when you cook this dish are worth the effort alone, but the taste is even better.
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Lamb Shoulder Chop, (any cut of lamb, cut into cubes)
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 2 cloves 2 cloves 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Ginger Root, peeled and minced
- 4 cups 4 cups 4 cups Onion, sliced thin
- 1.5 cups 1.5 cups 1.5 cups Tomato Sauce, strained or pureed tomato (about 1 can)
- 1.5 cups 1.5 cups 1.5 cups Water
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Plain Yogurt
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Cilantro
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Begin by preparing your ingredients (which makes cooking easier). Cube the lamb, mince the garlic and ginger, slice the onion.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp of ghee over medium high heat. Sear the lamb for about 10 minutes, stirring to evenly cook. Sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp of Himalayan Pink Salt. Remove meat and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the onion and saute until soft and it begins to get golden in color. Add the garlic and ginger, continue to saute another minute.
- Add the tomato puree, water, yogurt, and curry powder. Stir to combine. Cover with a lid (the lid can be askew to let some moisture escape), and simmer for one hour. Stir every 15 minutes during the hour to prevent the sauce at the bottom of the pot from burning.
- When the dish has cooked 30 minutes, prepare rice or your choice of side dish to enjoy.
- At the end of the hour of cooking, add the Garam Masala and stir to combine. Cook another few moments, then remove from heat.
- Serve over rice, garnished with fresh cilantro.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week