Paleo Rabbit Cacciatore and Meatballs Over Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Wild Rabbit, fresh, or frozen and thawed
- 2 - 3 whole 2 - 3 whole 2 - 3 whole Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for pork
- 1 head 1 head 1 head Garlic, cloves minced
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Onion, chopped
- 3 cup 3 cup 3 cup Tomato, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Water
- 0.33 cup 0.33 cup 0.33 cup White Wine
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Ground Pork
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp fresh Rosemary
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp fresh Thyme
- 3.5 oz 3.5 oz 3.5 oz Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
- Cut rabbit into pieces.
- Add sweet potatoes to a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Season rabbit pieces with sea salt and black pepper on all sides. Add the rabbit to the pot and brown on all sides. Transfer browned pieces to a clean plate.
- Add garlic and onions to the pot and reduce heat to medium. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water and wine and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to lift any brown bits that are stuck. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Check sweet potato for doneness. Remove from heat, drain and keep covered.
- Add rabbit pieces back to pot, stir to combine, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Roll ground pork into small meatballs using the palms of your hands. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add all meatballs to the skillet and season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cover and cook. Stir once after 5 minutes then cover and cook, reduce heat to medium-low if necessary.
- Transfer rabbit pieces to a new clean plate.
- Add fresh rosemary, fresh thyme and shiitake mushrooms to the pot, stir to combine. Simmer until slightly reduced, for 5 minutes.
- Add the rabbit and meatballs into the pot and simmer until heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes in the pan they were cooked in.
- Remove the rabbit pot from heat and prepare to serve. Add a scoop of sweet potatoes to a plate, top with a piece of rabbit, 3-5 meatballs and some sauce and serve with a side salad.
Sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to taste.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week