Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6 Tbsp 6 Tbsp 6 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin, divided
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Yellow Onion, diced
- 4 cup 4 cup 4 cup Chicken Stock, free range, organic
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Chicken Breast
- 30 oz 30 oz 30 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, (1 pepper + 1/2 Tbsp sauce, or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 0.5 Tbsp 0.5 Tbsp 0.5 Tbsp Oregano, dried
- 2.5 tsp 2.5 tsp 2.5 tsp Cumin
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Salt, or to taste
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Lime
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Jalapeño, seeds discarded, sliced
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Peas, Green
- 5 whole 5 whole 5 whole Paleo Tortillas (from Make It Paleo 2) (click for recipe), or use this recipe: http://acleanbake.com/grain-free-tortillas/
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, such as a dutch oven, preheat 2 Tablespoons of oil over medium heat and then add the onions, stirring periodically, and let them cook until translucent.
- Add the chicken stock and bring it to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the pot, and set them aside to cool.
- While the chicken is cooling, add the tomatoes, then the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, spices (chili powder through salt), and the juice of half of the lime (about 2-3 Tablespoons). Stir briefly, cover and heat until boiling.
- Add the jalapeno, red pepper, peas, corn (if using), and black beans (if using) and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup back up to a simmer for 5-10 minutes. The vegetables should be tender but not soggy. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- While the soup is simmering, preheat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in a large saute pan. Drop one tortilla strip in and if it sizzles right away, the oil is ready. Add the rest of the tortilla strips evenly across the pan (make sure they don't crowd each other) and fry until crispy. Remove and put them on a few paper towels to drain the excess oil. Garnish with salt, if desired.
- If you're using cheese, add a small handful to the bottom of each bowl. Top with hot soup and garnish with tortilla strips, a lime wedge (cut up the remaining half of the lime) and a small bunch of cilantro. Juice the wedge of lime over the soup before digging in.
If using cooked chicken, skip steps 2 and 3. When the recipe calls for you to add the shredded chicken, use about 4 cups (loosely measured). If you like things very spicy, leave some or all of the seeds in the jalapeno. If you don't like bell peppers, replace it with one large tomato, hulled and cubed. Make this grain free or low carb by leaving out the tortillas.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week