Whole Roasted Duck with Asian Orange Sauce
Serves: 4Serves: 4
- 5 lb 5 lb 5 lb whole roasted with skin Duck, neck and gizzards removed
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Mace
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Coconut Aminos, and honey (see instructions*), for sauce
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Raw Honey, for sauce
- 6 6 6 Orange, juiced, for sauce
- 1 head 1 head 1 head Garlic, cut in half
- 1 1 1 Onion, quartered
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Orange Zest, for sauce
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Bone Broth, for sauce
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder, for sauce
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a small bowl, combine spices.
- Add honey and coconut aminos and whisk to combine. *Reserve 1 tsp of this spice mixture for the sauce.
- Pat the outside of duck dry with a towel. Rub dry skin with the spice paste.
- Fill the duck cavity with oranges, onions and garlic.
- Roast at 500 degrees for 30 minutes, then turn down to 300 and roast for an additional 30 minutes. If you have a roasting pan with a shelf that elevates the duck that will be best, so the underside skin can also crisp. You can choose to tie the legs back, but since we adults like medium duck breast and the kids like medium well to well leg meat, leaving them free helped achieve this balance.
- While the duck is roasting, whisk together the sauce. First – orange juice, zest, honey and stock in a small pot at medium-high temperature.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the arrowroot with a small portion and whisk to smooth – this helps eliminates a lumpy sauce (you could also puree once done, which we clearly forgot in our haste to eat this delicious bird).
- Pour arrowroot mixture into sauce and whisk to incorporate.
- Carve duck and serve sauce over slices of breast.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more
about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com
Popular on Primal Palate this week
Other recipes you might like
4 made this
Ready in 50 minutes
1 made this
Ready in 1 hour
6 made this
Ready in 10 minutes
Share a recipe
Upload your own recipes to Primal Palate, and help others find great food on our site,, meal planner and app!
Primal Palate Cooking Channel