Turkish Meze Platter
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Beetroot, medium, washed, raw
- 8 clove 8 clove 8 clove Garlic
- 3 cups 3 cups 3 cups Plain Greek Yogurt, Turkish style is also excellent
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Olives, a mixture of good quality, unpitted olives works best
- .5 whole .5 whole .5 whole Red Onion, medium, thinly sliced
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Cucumber, small, halved lengthways, de-seeded
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Tomato, medium-sized, de-seeded, diced
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Flat Leaf Parsley, roughly chopped, + 2 Tbsp, + 4 Sprigs
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Raw Honey, Pomegranate molasses is more authentic
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (+ 1 Tbsp)
- .33 cup .33 cup .33 cup Organic Walnuts, roasted, crushed
- 6 whole 6 whole 6 whole Red Bell Pepper
- 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar, any good quality vinegar works
- 6 whole 6 whole 6 whole Carrots, grated
- 2 pinch 2 pinch 2 pinch Sea Salt, (+ 2 pinch)
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Black Olives, or Green Olives
- To make the beetroot, garlic and yogurt dip, trim and peel the raw beetroot and then grate them. Place in a bowl. Add the garlic and yogurt and mix all ingredients together. Add some parsley as a garnish before serving.
- To make the mixed olive salad, pit the olives and place the olive cheeks in a bowl. Add the red onion, cucumbers, tomatoes and parsley. Toss. Just prior to serving, dry roast the walnuts until golden in a small pan. Then crush and add to the salad. Prepare the dressing by whisking together the honey (or pomegranate molasses) and olive oil. Drizzle over the salad and toss again.
- To make the marinated roast bell peppers, light an open grill BBQ. Over a medium heat, cook the whole bell peppers until charred and soft, about 20 minutes. You can also instead use your oven broiler (grill). Allow the peppers to cool and then deseed the peppers and cut into broad slices. Place on a large, flat dish. Sprinkle the garlic, vinegar, oregano leaves and sea salt over the peppers and reserve until needed. Just prior to serving, finely chop the parsley and sprinkle over the peppers. This dish may be served cold or at room temperature.
- To make the yogurt carrot dip, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Place the grated carrot in the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool. Combine the yogurt and garlic. Season with the sea salt. Add the cooled carrot and garnish with 2 whole olives.
- For the mixed olives, place the olives in a serving bowl.
Despite being hard, the beetroots grate easily. Warning: Do not wear white clothing while grating the beetroots! Lebanese cucumbers work best for the mixed olive salad.