Tartelette au Sucre [AIP!]
A Paleo & AIP riff on a classic French-Canadian dessert, Sugar Pie. These mini two-bite treats feature a ginger-graham crust made from sweet potato flour (the easiest Paleo flour to bake with in my opinion), a creamy caramel-sucre filling made from roasted sweet potato, and can (should) be topped with fresh-whipped coconut cream. So fun to make & really would wow at a small dinner party served with espresso or lemon-ginger tea.
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Coconut Sugar, divided
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Ginger Root, grated
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Sea Salt
- 5 Tbsp 5 Tbsp 5 Tbsp Sweet Potato Flour
- 1.666 tsp 1.666 tsp 1.666 tsp Tapioca Starch
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Organic Coconut Oil, melted, divided
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Water, cold
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Coconut Cream
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Sweet Potato, mashed until creamy
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Make the Crust: Line a muffin pan with 5 silicon muffin liners. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 1 T coconut sugar (or honey), sweet potato flour, tapioca starch and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in ginger and just 3 T melted coconut oil and mix well until fully combined and a moist flour forms.Press about 1 T flour into muffin cups creating a shallow "bowl". Make sure the bottom and sides are even thickness to ensure proper/even baking.
- Bake the Crust: Bake on 2nd lowest rack for 9 minutes until lightly golden brown. Make sure not to let it bake too long or they will crumble. Remove liners from pan (but not the crusts from the liners yet!). Set aside to cool while you prepare the pie filling below.
- Make the Filling: In a small saucepan, bring water and remaining 2 T coconut sugar/honey to a low boil. Let bubble for 2 minutes while whisking continuously.Now stir in remaining 1 coconut oil or ghee and only 1 T coconut cream and return to a low boil. Tilt pan towards you and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens to a melted caramel thickness (1-2 minutes).
- Finish the Filling: Add in the mashed sweet potato and whisk vigorously to emulsify. There should be no clumps.Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1 T coconut cream until smooth.
- Assemble the Pies: Place 1 T pie filling into cooked crusts and smooth it down with back of a spoon. Leave a little crust perimeter. Freeze for 30 minutes in the silicone liners. Remove from freezer and serve with fresh whipped coconut cream, if desired.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.