Stuffed Bison Filet
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 543
- Total Fat: 14g
- Total Carbohydrate: 41g
- Protein: 42g
Bison filets are so tender and juicy they will literally melt in your mouth. The mushrooms and onions, sautéed in a splash of balsamic vinegar, nicely enhance the steaks without overpowering the natural flavors.
- In a frying pan, melt coconut oil on medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, and mushrooms to the frying pan and sauté until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have softened.
- Pour balsamic vinegar over mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and continue to sauté for 3–5 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from heat and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Rinse bison filets under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Cut a small pocket in each filet, leaving about 1/2 inch between the pocket and the outside of the filet.
- Stuff the filets with the sautéed mushrooms and onion, leaving remaining mushrooms for garnish.
- Grill bison filets for 5–7 minutes per side.
- Top with sautéed mushrooms, and serve.
Bison is extremely lean, which will yield a faster cook time than conventional beef filet. Keep an eye on these if cooking them for the first time to ensure they do not overcook.