Saucy n’ Spicy Prosciutto-Wrapped Meatballs
- 0.5 lb 0.5 lb 0.5 lb Hot Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 2 - 3 whole 2 - 3 whole 2 - 3 whole Roma Tomato, roughly chopped
- 6 whole 6 whole 6 whole fresh Basil, leaves, sliced
- 1 clove 1 clove 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp ground Cinnamon
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 oz 3 oz 3 oz Prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. That was easy. In a mini muffin tin, create prosciutto cups by ripping each slice in half lengthwise and overlapping the halves in an u201cXu201d pattern in each muffin tin. Make sure the bottom is completely covered. You will want 8 prosciutto cups total.
- Form the sausage into 8 mini meatballs, about 1 T sausage per ball.
- Place tomatoes in a small pot on medium-low heat. As the tomatoes begin to simmer, break them up with a wooden spoon. Once the tomatoes are crushed (about 5 minutes), sprinkle in the cinnamon and u00bc tsp of salt. Now mix in your basil.
- Carefully add meatballs to tomato sauce and spoon some sauce over the top of the meatballs. Cover the pot and let meatballs cook in the tomato sauce for 8-10 minutes on medium-low heat. Most of the tomato liquid will evaporate, but that is okay. We donu2019t want too much sauce or it will make for a soggy cup!
- Spoon 1 meatball into each prosciutto cup. Top with a teaspoon of tomato sauce.
- Bake in oven 15 minutes until the prosciutto is crispy. The tomato sauce may begin to caramelize but make sure it does not burn. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before removing.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
AIP Modifications: Use AIP-approved sausage and make a "Nomato Sauce" (Google that if you need a recipe)