Salted Caramel Cups
These caramel cups are amazing: soft and sweet semi sweet chocolate that yields to a firm, caramel core. Topped with a pinch of French Grey Sea Salt, they are the perfect balance of salty and sweet.
- 6 oz 6 oz 6 oz Semisweet Chocolate Chips, Enjoy Life Brand
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced] Palm Oil Shortening, or coconut oil
- 2 oz 2 oz 2 oz Dairy-free Caramel, Recipe makes more than 2 oz, use extra to make salted caramels
- 1/8 tsp 1/8 tsp 1/8 tsp Sea Salt, Primal Palate French Grey Sea Salt is ideal, or other medium to coarse sea salt
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Line a mini muffin pan with 10-12 parchment paper liners.
- Begin by melting the chocolate in a small sauce pan with the palm shortening over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour a small amount of melted chocolate into the bottom of each parchment cup (about 1/4"), and place in the freezer while you make the caramel.
- Make the Caramel according to the recipe (click the link in the ingredient list).
- Remove the muffin tin from the freezer, and place a quarter-sized amount (about 1 tsp) of Caramel in the center of each cup. Return to the freezer for 5 minutes to harden.
- Cover the caramel and fill the cups with the remaining chocolate. By this point, the chocolate should have cooled, so you can sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Place in the freezer for 10 more minutes to set up. Store at room temperature if you will enjoy in the next few days. These can also be frozen ahead of time. You want them to come to room temperature well ahead of consuming, so that the caramel center isn't rock hard.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.