Root Vegetable Hash & Poached Egg
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 421
- Total Fat: 31g
- Total Carbohydrate: 32g
- Protein: 5g
A simple hash made from root vegetables, brings wonderful color and flavor to your plate in the morning. Warm, crispy flavors of roasted root vegetables pair beautifully with eggs, but would make a great side dish to any meal.
- 1 1 Beet, chopped
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Rosemary, fresh, minced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Coconut Oil, Organic
- 1 cup 1 cup Vidalia Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 1 cup 1 cup Turnips, chopped
- 1 whole 1 whole Avocado, diced, for garnish
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Tomato, Cherry, diced, for garnish
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 1 Egg, poached
- Preheat oven to roast at 400°F.
- Rinse root vegetables, and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss vegetables with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Evenly spread vegetables onto a large baking sheet.
- Season with salt, pepper, and minced rosemary.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then add minced garlic, stir, and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- Root vegetables will be finished when they are crispy around the edges.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Crack egg into skillet and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour 1/4 cup water into the frying pan and cover with lid.
- Steam the egg until it is fully cooked (the yolk of the egg should have a hint of pink on the top, and none of the white should be translucent).
- Serve eggs over the root vegetable hash.
Make sure to thoroughly clean your root vegetables. Beets, especially, tend to hold a lot of dirt, so we will often scrub them clean before cooking. An additional treat with this breakfast would be to serve it with a few slices of bacon.