Roasted Parsnip Soup with Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Parsnip, peeled, chopped and core removed
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Red Skin Potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Lard
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt
- 5 cup 5 cup 5 cup Free Range, Low Sodium) Chicken Broth (Organic
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp dried Thyme
- .25 tsp .25 tsp .25 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Shiitake Mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup dried Oyster mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Toss parsnips, potatoes and onions in a half teaspoon salt and a half tablespoon of the melted lard. Spread onto a pan and roast 30 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking time so all cooks evenly.
- Melt the a half tablespoon lard in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Saute shiitake mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Once the roasted vegetables are done, add them to the soup pot. Add broth, remaining salt, pepper, and thyme. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the oyster mushrooms. Separate each cap from the bunch. In a large pan, melt a half tablespoon lard and sautu00e9 the mushrooms in an even layer over medium-low heat. Cook on each side for 3 minutes. You will have to do this in 2 batches. Move mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Remove soup from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree everything together. Then stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- To serve, place a spoonful of oyster mushrooms in the bottom of each bowl and spoon the soup over them. Top off with a few more sauteed mushrooms.
*For a creamy consistency, remove the tough core of the parsnips. Slice each in half lengthwise and use a pairing knife to cutout the middle, similar to removing an apple core.