Pete Servold (of Pete's Paleo fame) originally texted this recipe to me a few months before our wedding. Once things finally calmed down after our honeymoon, I made it and it blew me away! Pete has been kind enough to give us permission to publish his recipe. You can make it yourselves, or order some of his special secret recipe on his website, www.petespaleo.com
Serves: 6Serves: 6
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a small mixing bowl, make a rub/paste using the honey, salt, olive oil, rosemary, sage, black pepper, garlic, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Scour the belly on the skin side 1/4" deep in a diamond pattern.
- Rub the poultice into all of the belly and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or vac-pac.
- Place wrapped pork belly in a dish or pan, and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Pull out of plastic wrap and smoke for 1 hour at 200 degrees (recommend pecan or apple wood). If you don't have a smoker you can omit this step.
- Place in a cast iron dutch oven and add enough chicken or vegetable stock to cover the pork belly.
- Cook at 250 degrees for 12 hours. Once cooked, let stand at room temperature until the pork belly has cooled down.
- Place the cooled belly on a sheet tray and refrigerate for one hour, until firm.
- Slice the pork belly into 1 inch thick pieces (any thinner, and they'll fall apart - so don't go by our photos.... trust me!)
- Fry in a dry cast iron skillet over medium high heat until GBD ("Golden Brown and Delicious")
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more
about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com
Popular on Primal Palate this week
Other recipes you might like
1 made this
Ready in 35 minutes
1 made this
Ready in 1 hour
2 made this
Ready in 20 minutes
Share a recipe
Upload your own recipes to Primal Palate, and help others find great food on our site,, meal planner and app!
Primal Palate Cooking Channel