Pecan Pie (from Gather)
Pecan pie is a tried and true Thanksgiving dessert. If you and your guests have saved any room for pie (which you should have), a slice will taste delicious with a cup of coffee.
- This recipe is from our cookbook: Gather
- 2.5 cups 2.5 cups 2.5 cups Blanched Almond Flour, (crust)
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt, (crust) + 1/2 tsp for the filling
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Baking Soda, (crust)
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced] Palm Oil Shortening, (crust)
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup, (crust), + 1/4 cup for the filling
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract, (crust) + 1 tsp for the filling
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Molasses
- 3 3 3 Eggs, (filling)
- 6 6 6 Dates (Medjool), (filling)
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Water, (filling)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour, (filling)
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted (filling)
- 1.25 cup 1.25 cup 1.25 cup Pecans, (3/4 cup chopped, placed between crust and filling; 1/2 cup pecan halves to garnish the top)
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the blanched almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the melted palm shortening, maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until it reaches a dough consistency. Pat the dough into a 9-inch glass pie dish, and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Remove the crust from the oven to cool. Keep the oven set at 325 degrees.
- In a standing mixer, combine the eggs, maple syrup, molasses, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- In a small saucepan, heat the dates and water on low heat for 30 seconds. Then, mash the dates with a fork. Add the date mixture to the standing mixer, and combine them with the other ingredients. Add the salt, coconut flour, and melted butter, and mix until smooth.
- Lay the chopped pecans on the bottom of the pie crust. Pour in the filling, and bake the pie for 20 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven, and garnish it with the pecan halves.
- Put the pie back in the oven, and bake it for an additional 30 minutes. Cool the pie, and refrigerate it until time to serve. It can be made a day ahead of time.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.