Pan-Seared Artichoke Hearts
The heart of the artichoke is like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow—it is truly a treat! Artichoke hearts, commonly found canned in stores, are tasty. However, they cannot compare to the fabulous taste of freshly steamed artichoke hearts. For this recipe, the hearts are the star of the show. This dish brings a bit of gourmet to a beloved vegetable of ours.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 2 2 Artichokes, leaves removed
- Carefully trim the sharp tips from the leaves of the artichoke.
- Cut the outer leaves off of the artichoke until you have almost reached the choke and heart.
- Fill a large soup pot with water.
- Place the artichokes into the water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil hearts for 10 minutes, or until you can easily slide a fork into the stem.
- Remove hearts from water and allow to cool.
- Cut the choke out, as well as any remaining leaves.
- Slice the heart into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Sear slices in a frying pan with coconut oil over medium-high heat.
The “choke” of the artichoke, is the fuzzy center that covers the heart. This part of the vegetable is not edible, and should always be removed before consuming.